Wednesday 6 June 2007

NeoOffice

After trying out the OpenOffice.org development Alpha I decided to sign up to the mailing list. After a few posts I noticed that there was a lot of talk about OpenOffice.org “vs” NeoOffice. I thought it only right that I should check out NeoOffice and report it here.

NeoOffice was started by two developers that were part of the OpenOffice.org mac port. To find out more about why they started the NeoOffice project visit the FAQ page.

Before I'd even installed NeoOffice a couple of things stood out to me that seemed slightly better than the OpenOffice.org project. For one, NeoOffice is released under the full GPL license rather than the Lesser GPL, which OpenOffice.org is under. Secondly, they don't have Sun behind them telling them which way to go and they only have one platform to worry about. Also the developers seemed to have an attitude and humour that I could related to more, see the open letter to Sun Microsystems.

After installing the software, the differences are obvious. The OpenOffice.org port is clearly an alpha preview where as NeoOffice is very much a stable release, for example I wrote this blog post in NeoOffice Writer. Also the look and feel of the app is very much more 'aqua'. The icons are nice and the menus feel like os x menus.

As for features I found everything I was looking for. I'm not really a spreadsheet or presentation user so I can't really comment on those but overall, I think if you're looking for an alternative to Word at this point in time, then NeoOffice is the clear choice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what I was looking for, thanks